Kroger, one of the world's largest retailers, with 2,774 supermarkets and multi-department stores, wanted to reach the growing population of pet owners in a meaningful way. They didn’t just want to sell more pet products – they wanted to make a real impact on the lives of the pets who were still waiting for homes of their own – pets living in local animal shelters.
In targeted markets, Kroger needed to boost their support of local animal welfare organizations while also defending against inroads from pet specialty retailers. The bottom line also called for a need to drive sales for its broad line of pet products – to let pet owners know they had everything they needed to care for their pets.
INPEx designed and executed a “Pet Care Super Sale” that fully engaged local animal shelters to promote the Kroger sale, participate in parking lot “Tent Sales” where they could promote their cause and adopt out pets, and engage with the media to promote their mission, tied to the Kroger merchandising event.
Kroger’s formidable advertising and merchandising power – equipped with a broadly appealing cause theme – was a powerful combination.
Local animal shelters raised upwards of $10,000 each, promoted their mission, offered pets for adoption, and advanced pet care education to large crowds of Kroger shoppers. Kroger achieved spectacular merchandising results, as did the pet food and pet supply vendors who participated. Results include:
- Significant price reduction on all seven vendor product lines
- Radio PSAs during the sale week and on site radio media promotions at targeted stores
- Sales lift of between 154% and 860% on all product lines for the 2-week sales period
- 40% – 70% store penetration of displays for the two week sales period
- 15% – 60% store penetration of displays maintained for the two weeks after the sale period
MORE CASE STUDIES